OCZ Announces the Z-Drive m84 PCI-Express SSD

Moderator: M_S

OCZ Announces the Z-Drive m84 PCI-Express SSD

Postby KTE on Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:43 am

San Jose, Calif.—October 5, 2009—OCZ Technology Group, Inc., a worldwide leader in innovative, ultra-high performance and high reliability memory and flash-based storage as an alternative to hard disk drives (HDDs), today announced the Z-Drive m84, a PCI-Express Solid State Drive (SSD) designed to offer the performance of OCZ’s Z-Drive product line to enthusiasts for a more affordable price point and availability in the mainstream market segment versus the enterprise channel. The Z-Drive m84 is the answer to the demand from end-users to have access to this state-of-the-art storage solution.

Full press release: http://www.ocztechnology.com/aboutocz/press/2009/354

There's the E84, P84 and M84: http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/s ... ate_drives
KTE

Re: OCZ Announces the Z-Drive m84 PCI-Express SSD

Postby KTE on Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:52 am

So there's a V84 coming? :P

Wouldn't it be simple to create a 125GB cut down of that?

I'm assuming these are using the RocketRaid controller... Good branding scheme. Now let's see some in-depth reviews and customer [neutral] usage feedback. I need to see its performance on the AMD platform with a X2.

The M84 has me interested for home (256GB) - perfect capacity for me. I'm a little cautious about the added PCIe latency and its impact.

Good to have a PCIe SSD competitor. Majority of Desktop enthusiasts aren't aware of how many PCIe SSD products there already are in the Enterprise world (nor the brands expect whatever has high PR).
KTE

Re: OCZ Announces the Z-Drive m84 PCI-Express SSD

Postby M_S on Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:02 pm

na.. the Rocket RAID is a POS... but I can't comment on technical details here.

It doesn't really make much sense to create a 120 GB solution unless you want to go with a two-drive RAID, but then you give up quite a bit of performance.
M_S

Return to Storage